In this article we will show you some of our best choice options when trying to find the best pressure washer for cleaning a car.
Pressure washing a car is a job that all valeters have to do before starting a thorough cleaning process, finding the right pressure washer that provides the best results can be difficult especially with so many different options available.
What should I consider before choosing a pressure washer?
Firstly before purchasing a pressure washer their are some things you need to consider to ensure it is up to the task for your needs.
Many valeters will use a mains supply to power a jet wash by either plugging into an extension lead at a place of work, or into a good quality generator in the back of a mobile valeting van.
This is a great option as a mains powered pressure washer is generally compact and easy to move around a car, it is also easy to store if you are a mobile valeter.
Mobile valeters will need to consider the power rating of their pressure washer and match that to the power rating of their generator, too small a generator will cause your pressure washer to keep tripping out which is very annoying when pressure washing a car.
Having said that a petrol or Diesel pressure washer can be the perfect choice for larger premises such as drive in car valeting centers or dedicated car valeting bays.
Petrol or Diesel powered pressure washers can be used in mobile vans, but it is important to consider the weight, size and fuel.
The weight of a fuel powered pressure washer can make it heavy to handle, the size is generally much larger than an electric pressure washer making it more difficult to store in a vehicle and also carrying fuel in your van needs to be done safely due to it being flammable.
It is always important when choosing a pressure washer to consider the water supply as well as the power supply.
The ideal water for a pressure washer is a mains supply which you can simply connect a hosepipe to feed your pressure washer.
If however you are a mobile valeter then it is not always possible to have a mains water supply.
In this case you would use a water tank mounted in the van to feed your pressure washer.
Our Top 5 Pressure Washer Picks
1. Kärcher K4 Full Control Pressure Washer
powerful and versatile the Kärcher K4 Full Control pressure washer makes it easy to select the right pressure for the job.
Easy to adjust the pressure from one surface to another with the LED pressure setting display on the trigger gun.
Switch between the Vario and Dirt blaster lances depending on your cleaning task.
The machine’s Plug ‘n’ Clean system applies detergent as you clean for maximum efficiency without making a mess.
This Pressure washer has a low centre of gravity making it very difficult to fall over.
2. Nilfisk D-PG 140.4-9 Pressure Washer
The Nilfisk D-PG 140.4-9 is a powerful high pressure washer perfect for frequent or larger cleaning tasks.
7-levels of pressure control at your fingertips, the PowerGrip™ not only gives you fine control over a variety of cleaning tasks but also the ability to save energy and water when higher pressures are not needed.
The D-PG 140.4 has a telescopic handle and hose reel.
The 140 bar pressure combined with powerful water flow gives high cleaning impact for harder cleaning tasks.
The reduced power is safe to use on more delicate surfaces such as car number plates.
- An all-round, high-pressure washer with PowerGrip control
- 7-levels of pressure control, the PowerGrip gives you fine control giving the ability to save energy and water when higher pressures are not needed.
- Powerful and long-lasting 2400W motor with aluminium pump
- 140 bar pressure with 550 litres per hour water flow offer excellent results
- Large 9m hose and 5m cable
3. Bosch Universal Aquatak 135 Pressure Washer
The Universal Aquatak 135 provides power and versatility for an all round cleaning performance.
The easy fold handy and sturdy wheel design ensure hassle free storage and the quick connect SDS fittings mean it is ready to go straight from the box.
Integrated accessory storage to keep its accessories tidy and have quick access to the compartments while pressure washing.
The included high pressure foam nozzle makes detergent application easy whilst the clear water filter ensures easy maintenance and additional pump protection.
Self priming capability : 0.5 m.
4. Norse SK155 Electric Pressure Washer
The Sk155 as well as attaching to a conventional mains supply water with the included standard fit adapters, it also has the advantage of being able to draw from any standing water source with its powerful suction and included filtered hose.
Powerful capabilities with 3700PSI and pumping a staggering 560L per hour.
Efficient, with its 2600W copper wound induction motor.
Weighing just 25.8Kg with strong durable wheels it is easy to handle and very robust.
It’s 90° turbo nozzle gets under and over hard to reach places making cleaning very easy.
- Maximum Pressure: 255 BAR / 3700 PSI
- Continuous Pressure: 150 BAR / 2200 PSI
- Maximum Flow rate: 560 Litres / hour
- Max Input Temperature: 50°
- Motor Capacity: 2600 Watt
- Power Supply Voltage: 240V ~ 50HZ
- Hose Length : 1 x 10M + 1 x 8M
- uprated next generation pressure gun and inline hose and accessory storage
5. Wilks TX750i Petrol Pressure Washer
The TX750i produces a remarkable 3950 PSI at 272 Bar from a quality Wilks 4-stroke OHV 210cc Engine.
Wilks have created a superior pressure washer design that outperforms similar pressure washers.
The TX750i creates high pressure output from a very maneuverable unit thanks to it’s rough terrain wheels and robust handle.
5 ‘click and go’ nozzles, each with a specialised function. The red is for blasting, yellow for stripping, green for cleaning, white for washing and black for detergent application.
The TX750i pressure washer is suitable for use almost anywhere it can be fed with water from a tap, bucket or pond.
- 12 month warranty with UK based technical support line
- Includes five “Snap in” nozzles, each one gives you a unique cleaning function
- Producing ultra high peak power of 3950psi, perfect for cleaning your car and more
- Features a 8hp 210cc four-stroke engine with stubborn reliability and fuel-efficiency
- Includes all accessories as standard
Using A Pressure Washer
Why would I use a pressure washer?
There are many reasons why you should use a power washer to wash your car.
Cars get covered with all sorts of debris that will damage the surface of the vehicles paintwork.
There are a number of benefits to using a car pressure washer rather than traditional bucket and sponge.
- Greatly reduced risk of damage the cars paint surface from dirt and debris compared to using just a sponge.
- Quick much more efficient washing process.
- Removal of heavy dirt and stains in a more controlled way.
- Easy to remove dirt from awkward to reach areas such as alloy wheels, and grills effectively.
How to use a pressure washer
- Attach your pressure washer to a hose pipe and power supply.
- Choose the appropriate nozzle for your washer to match the job you intend to do.
- Stand a safe distance away from the car to avoid any accidents to yourself or damage to the vehicle, accidently catching the paintwork with your lance can be costly.
- Pressure wash the car to remove harmful debris, then add car shampoo or snow foam to deep clean the paintwork.
- Rinse the vehicle all over with plain water through the power washer.
- Finally Chamois the car to remove water from the surface of the vehicle.
Conclusion - Best Pressure Washer For Car Cleaning
Pressure washing a car is a job that all valeters have to do.
It is important to consider the best type of pressure washer suitable for the job you are doing.
Make sure mobile generators have sufficient output power to supply the power washer so that it does not cut out when in operation.
Considering your water supply and power supply options will help determine the best power washer for you.
Weight, size and maneuverability are important for handling and storing a power washer.